Early in the 1940's a large field was made available for the leisure use of Etchinghill villagers and in 1947 a Village Hall was built. Two hard tennis courts were laid in 1952 and a meeting of the villagers decided that a tennis club should be formed. Senior and junior members were admitted by payment of an annual subscription of 30s.6d. Mixed friendly matches were arranged with the small tennis clubs in neighbouring villages and, since there was no clubhouse, the Village Hall facilities were used for match teas. Monthly dances (tickets 2s.6d.) were held in the Village Hall and were well supported by local residents as well as club members.
In 1954 a hut, which had been used to house servicemen during the Second World War at Brindley Heath R.A.F. camp, was purchased cheaply. Club members erected the hut next to the Village Hall and, although now replaced by a modern brick building, the longer standing members fondly remember it. In February 1972 the Club was granted alicence to sell alcohol and in the autumn of that same year the third court was laid.The old village has grown but the original area laid out with grass and trees, because of its delightful situation, is the envy of visiting teams. Tribute must be paid to those who, by their loyalty and hard work, ensured the Club prospered and grew.
Supplied by the late Mrs Joan Birch (Founder Member) who was
Secretary for many years and a former President of the Club.